HENAAC Award Nominations
Great Minds in STEM™ (GMiS) is in its 35th year of highlighting the nation’s best and brightest Hispanic engineers, scientists, mathematicians, technology experts and computer scientists. Through the HENAAC awards nomination process, GMiS honors and showcases role models to inspire young people to pursue careers in STEM, and to motivate professionals to continuously connect with the Hispanic community. By nominating individuals from your organization, you support GMiS in providing a pathway and vision for the next generation, of what it means to be a successful STEM professional.
This year, several categories have been collapsed to streamline our peer-reviewed process. All categories including Civil and Environmental Engineering as well as Computer Engineers and Information Technology Distinction will be reviewed within the broader award categories.
Award winners will be recognized at a variety of events during the 35th Annual GMiS Conference, taking place in Pasadena, CA, October 11-14, 2023.
Is there a future HENAAC Award Winner in your organization? Start your nomination today!
- Recognize individuals on a national level through a highly-respected peer-reviewed process.
- Identify emerging talent, top management, and outstanding work within your organization.
- Support your organization’s retention efforts while showcasing your diversity efforts.
Online Application Requirements
- Online Nomination Form
- Nominator Statement
- Full Job Description
- Organizational Chart
- Recommendation Letters
- Color Photograph that is at least 300 dpi or higher
- Synopsis of Key Research (for technical award categories only)
- Articles about the Nominee (if applicable)
Online Application Process
- Nominations Portal opens April 15, 2023.
- Log in to, or create an account on the GMiS Access Portal: https://gmisaccess.org/
- Once in the GMiS Access Portal click on HENAAC Award Nominations box on the right hand side.
- Follow instructions in the portal to start a nomination.
- Complete the online HENAAC Award Nomination form and upload required documents and photo for each of your nominees.
- Documents must be uploaded and submitted by 11:59 PM PST on May 26, 2023.
- Paper copies are no longer accepted.
- All winners and the individuals who nominated them will be notified via telephone and email by the third week of August 2023.
- A formal letter of notification with details about the conference, awards show, rehearsals, etc. will be sent by email by the end of August 2023.
- The nominators of individuals who did not win will receive letters indicating that their candidates were not selected.
- Executive Excellence
- Outstanding Technical Achievement
- Professional Achievement I & II
- Lifetime Achievement
- Most Promising Engineer or Scientist: Undergraduate Degree & Advanced Degree
- Community Service
- Education Distinction
There are seven awards which are not part of the nomination and selection process. These “Special Awards” are set aside for extraordinary contributions in each of their categories. The Santiago Rodriguez award and the other Special Awards are recommended by the nomination committees as they review the candidates that have been submitted. The exception is the Chairman’s Award which is solely picked by the Chairman of the Board.
Individuals are not nominated directly for special awards. To be considered for any one of the following special award categories, the nominee must be ranked among the top five candidates in one of the established professional categories. The Selection Committees will forward the nomination package to the Selection Committee Chairs (SCCS) for consideration in one of the following special award categories:
- Engineer of the Year
- Albert V. Baez Award
- Chairman’s Award
- Scientist of the Year
- Pioneer Award
- Vanguard Award
- Santiago Rodriguez Diversity & Inclusion Award
These prestigious awards are not presented annually. They are only presented when the Selection Committee Chairs have determined that a candidate’s achievements merit this special recognition.
For additional information regarding the HENAAC Awards Nominations, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org