GMiS STEM Scholarship Application Guidelines
The application period for the 2021-22 academic year is closed. The 2022-23 application will open in February 2022.
Basic Scholarship Requirement
- Applicants must demonstrate merit through academic achievements, leadership and campus/community activities
- Applicants must be pursuing a science, technology, engineering or math degree
- Applicants must have an overall minimum GPA of 3.0 or higher on a 4.0 scale
- Applicants must be of Hispanic descent and/or must demonstrate significant leadership or service within the underserved community
- Recipients must be enrolled full-time in a STEM undergraduate or graduate program for the upcoming fall semester, at an accredited 2-yr or 4-yr college/university in the U.S. or its territories.
- If you have already earned a bachelors degree and are seeking support for another bachelors degree OR you have already earned a masters degree and are seeking support for another masters degree OR you have already earned a doctoral degree and are seeking support for another doctoral degree, you are ineligible to apply to this scholarship program.
Scholarship Recipients Will Receive
- A merit-based scholarship ranging in amounts from $500 to $5,000.
- Listing in the GMiS Scholars press release
- Transportation support to the annual GMiS Conference, where Scholars are presented with their scholarship by the sponsor. The 2022 GMiS Conference is scheduled to be hosted in Pasadena, CA.. Scholars will be provided travel beginning TBD.
- Personal Statement addressing a topic determined by Great Minds in STEM.
- One Peer Letter of Recommendation from a friend, classmate, lab partner, roommate, teammate, or fellow member of a campus or community organization
- One Faculty Letter of Recommendation from a faculty, teacher, mentor, advisor, counselor, principal, dean, or MEP Director
- Official Transcript with the imprinted seal or signature of your college or high school (Transcripts must be in English). Transcripts must indicate a cumulative GPA based on a 4.0 scale.
- Self-photo (used for publication purposes only)
Application Submission Process
- Complete the online GMiS STEM Scholarship Application and submit your personal statement, resume, letters of recommendation, official transcript(s) and photo.
- Documents must be uploaded by 11:59 PM PST on April 30, 2022.
- Upon submission, an auto-confirmation page will be displayed verifying receipt of your application. If you did not receive this confirmation page, then you did not successfully submit your application. This confirmation page is your only record of submittal.
- Incomplete applications will not be processed. Applicants WILL NOT have the opportunity to submit materials that are missing.
- Students selected as scholarship recipients will be notified, by email, in August. No other notifications will be made.
- Please do not call the office during the review period from May 1 – September 30 to check on the status of your application.